What I wouldn’t give to be eating turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie today instead of Plov. Nothing against plov, of course, it’s actually one of my favorite foods here – it’s just not Thanksgiving food. I hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful day of family togetherness. And football – oh, how I miss football….
Tomorrow we are off school for the Muslim holiday –Kyrman Ait (or at least that is what it is called in Russian).Four of us are heading to Naryn, which my trusty guidebook calls the coldest city in Kyrgyzstan. I’m pretty excited and will be packing all of my long-johns. One of our coolest teachers’ parents live there and we are going to celebrate the holiday with them. I’m hoping to see a goat slaughtering, but my teacher keeps laughing when I ask about it and asking how I can want to see a goat die. But it’s cultural – might as well get see as much of the Muslim traditions as possible, as I’m pretty sure there will be no ritual goat slaughtering in our church back home in the near future.
Talking club at the pub last night was great – we ended up talking yesterday from 4pm-9pm all in Russian. I even explained the meaning of Thanksgiving as I was the token American in attendance. I was pretty impressed at my ability to follow and participate in conversations for hours.
Enjoy the holiday weekend! I’ll take lots of pictures this weekend and get them up next week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.